In the announcement post for this little blog party of mine, I put up three images: one of the original domestic house-witch, Samantha Stevens, one of the harried modern witch, Piper Halliwell, and one of the biggest domestic fail in witchery, the house landing on top of the Wicked Witch of the East.
Personally, I like to think I fall into the middle category: the mediator with a flair in the kitchen and a propensity for being just a pinch superstitious. Piper was known among her sisters for being a whiz at the stove, not only when whipping up cookies and cakes but also when devising potions for their latest vanquish. Although Piper’s potions were typically intended for destroying demons, here are three household potions worthy of her talents (both witchy and domestic!)
Purifying Herbal Laundry Detergent
- 2 gallons water, hot + extra for saucepan
- 1 bar unscented soap, grated
- 2 cups baking soda
- Hyssop, lavender or eucalyptus essential oils
- Place grated soap in a saucepan with enough hot water to cover. Heat on medium-low, stirring frequently until melted.
- Pour 2 gallons hot water into a large bucket or basin and add the melted soap and water mixture. Stir well.
- Add baking soda and stir well.
- Add 10-15 drops of the purification essential oil of your choice, such as hyssop, lavender or eucalyptus.
- ½ cup = full load of laundry
Restful Dreams Room Spray
- ½ gallon distilled water
- Jasmine or hibiscus essential oils
- Combine 10 drops of jasmine or hibiscus essential oils with the distilled water in a clean, sealable container.
- Fill new, clean spray bottles with the desired amount of the mixture.
- Spritz on pillows or in a bedroom to promote restful (and potentially psychic) dreams.
- 2 cups drinking water
- Several slices cucumber
- Several fresh blackberries
- Muddle the cucumber and blackberries in the drinking water using a spoon or other beverage implement.
- Pour over ice.
- Take a break from domestic “goddess-ry” to enjoy a cool, healing refreshment!
Note for partygoers: Feel free to browse the various parties linked up in the comments. Thanks for stopping by!
Just as a quick reminder:
- On October 13th, put up a fabulous blog post. The only limits are your imagination and that it must be somehow domestic-related (food, decorating, entertaining, how to get candle wax off tables, etc.)
- Leave a comment on the actual party post here at The Witch of Howling Creek on the day of with a link to your actual party post (please be sure the link is to the blog post itself, not just your blog home page.)
- Blog hop to all of the awesome parties and leave comments wherever you can to let everyone know they’re loved!